Monday, March 12, 2012

I need to renew my passport.

Is there something you want so badly but don't even know it yet? (Just let that sink in.) Didn't even know it existed and now it's all you think about? (Okay, only for the past eight hours but I have an obsessive personality.)

Right now all I can think about is Belize. I've never been but I've wanted to visit since I was 19 years old. I don't really know why but I do remember randomly picking it for a marketing project in college and falling in love with the country sight unseen. I think the tropical paradise aspect of it plays a big part.

Because the weather here has been so ridiculous the last couple days (My first world problem? I bought a pair of super cute red Franco Sarto pumps and desperately want to wear them but with the rain, wind and mud I don't dare sully their soles. Cry me an overprivileged river, right?) all anyone is talking about is the warmer skies and sandy beaches of far off places. Okay, that's all I'm talking about and in turn, everyone else because I tend to monopolize conversations.

At work today I was wondering out loud what I would drink on the beaches of Belize. Mai tais or daquiris are too girly and sugary for someone who would rather have a Manhattan. I don't do well with hangovers (I learned that on Sunday, oy) and definitely don't need the extra calories. It seems trivial to order beer or wine when I can get perfectly delicious IPAs and Malbecs at Trader Joe's. I was still mulling this pressing and important question when one of our drug reps came into the office. She's adorable and chatty and brings us coffee so needless to say.*

We started bitching about the rain and what it does to our perfectly coiffed hair (well, her perfectly coiffed hair; mine was matted to my face and crammed full of bobby pins in an effort to make it look less... mullet-y and mannish. I'm growing it out I swear.) and when I said I needed a white sand beach, the kind from postcards where the palm tree swoops down over the water, she mentioned that she and her husband had just gotten back from their honeymoon. In Belize.

This was kismet. So what does one drink in Belize? Apparently in the rain forest (of course) there's a bar with an amazing bartender (obviously) that makes margaritas with a local flower water extract. Now we're fucking talking. I've never wanted anything so badly in my life. Especially something I didn't even know existed before 2 o'clock this afternoon. I want to lie in a hammock. I want margaritas made with rain forest flowers. I want warm weather and waves and sunshine. I want to wear my red Franco Sartos. And I want to learn how to wear my hair so I don't look like a lesbian.

*If it's needless to say, don't say it. One of my most hated idioms.

No comments: