Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Way Back Play Back songs 15-19 (part 6 of 6)

I know, thank baby jesus this CD wasn't any longer, right?

Track 15: Maniac by Michael Sembello released 6/5/1983
What movie is this from? Flashdance? No... I don't think that's right. Oh, of course it's from the classic and iconic 1995 film Tommy Boy, the second of three songs on this CD from the same film. Did we watch this movie too much as children? Did Tommy Callahan eat a lot of paint chips as a kid? You decide.




Track 16: Something Special by Randy Newman released 1988
Randy Newman makes me think of three things: Toy Story, Family Guy and Brin. I've never really known why he reminded me of Brin (the same way John Prine does too) but I think the fact that this song is on my CD is proof that I am justified. Always justified. (DISCLAIMER: This video is clearly from some tween show which I do NOT condone but it's the only version of it I could find. So just listen, please don't watch. Just... don't.)




Track 17: What'd I Say by Ray Charles released 7/1959
I promised three songs from Tommy Boy and here's the final installation. This is a great song no matter what and another fun one to sing at top volume a la Big Tom Callahan. You know, right before he dies. I swear it's a comedy. But you know what, if you haven't seen it, just ring your call button and Tommy'll come back there and hit you over the head with a tack hammer because you're a retard. Ah, my life reduced to simple movie quotes.




Track 18: U Can't Touch This by MC Hammer released 1/13/1990
This song remains a major player in one of the oldest running inside jokes in our family history. It's a long story involving Brin's brother, my brother, a couple chairs, a whole lot of jumping and the elementary school talent show. I was young but as it was happening we all knew this was going to be a pivotal moment in each of our lives. Not unlike Pearl Harbor.



Track 19: Jurassic Park theme by John Williams released 5/25/1993
There are so many things I want to say about this track. I feel like Brin saved the best for last. The first 30 seconds are kind of indistinguishable from any other John Williams soundtrack. Then BAM. Jurassic Park. By the time I made it to track 19 I was already home sitting in my car listening to song after song and it's a good thing I wasn't driving because when I heard this first I started laughing and then I started crying. Yeah. Crying. I'm a girl with real girl feelings not just a black hole where my heart should be. As obsessed as I am with time travel I go bat shit over dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs are rad. We all know this. I watched the shit out of any possible dinosaur VHSs I could get my hands on when I was a kid. My brother and I played with DinoRiders (holy shit it's still a thing!) and I wanted nothing more than to be a paleontologist. When I was 11, my family and Brin's family went to see Father of the Bride in the theater. A trailer for Jurassic Park came on and it was over. I'd never wanted to see a movie more than this one. My life had culminated at that moment. Well, not quite but it felt like it at the time. I still get dinosaur DVDs from the library and watch them like the huge nerd I am. Every once in a while I wonder if paleontology school is an option and if I could ever look good in a khaki shorts and hat combo. To sum up? Dinosaurs are fucking awesome. Jurassic Park is fucking awesome. And Brin is the most fucking awesome of all the things because she put this song on a CD. A CD she made just for me. Thank you, I love you and I can't wait to be best friends for so many more years. PS-Triceratops is the shit.


1 comment:

Brin said...

Nicole, I loved you from the first time you dotted the i over the second dash- your eyeless, legless, and armless "Stick-Man" hanging shamefully by a noose on the back side of a white napkin slightly marred by pepperoni grease...

Oh.... My.... Gosh.... this is like the best present back from the WayBack PlayBack CD!!! Now I'M crying!!! Sniffle... You get me... You totally GET me! Ha...

It's funny, some of the songs I couldn't place an actual major connection with like I could with, say, "She Drives Me Crazy"... but they just reminded me of that time (Bonnie Raitt, Randy Newman's "Something Special"... which is an homage to our friendship, and also the ending theme to "Overboard"). And you're right... we didn't listen to NKOTB when they were popular, but many years later I think... (you can thank me too for not putting theme songs from the ENTIRE TGIF line-up!) And Jurassic Park... Jurassic Park will always remind me of you!

Thanks for taking the time to share this!!