Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Way Back Play Back songs 11-14 (part 5 of 6)

Track 11: Power of Love by Huey Lewis and the News released 7/1985
I'm mildly obsessed with time travel and am pretty sure my crazy stems from first seeing Back to the Future in the mid to late 80s. Lightning and Libyans and DeLoreans and incest AND Crispin Glover? This movie has it all! Including a kick ASS sound track including this song from Huey Lewis who (fun fact) has a cameo in the movie as the guy with a megaphone that tells Marty's band they're "just too darn loud." Yeah, keep that one in your back pocket the next time you need to impress someone.




Track 12: Cover Girl by NKOTB released 9/22/89
Oh what's this? Another song by New Kids on the Block? Don't you dare judge us it was the 80s. I wore the kind of clothes hipsters can only dream of (sparkly shirts with pink tigers on them, hot pink bike shorts, permed hair, you get it) and I wore them with pride because I was a NINE-YEAR-OLD girl! Lord I hate hipsters.




Track 13: Why by Annie Lennox released 1992
I loved this song when I was younger. I still love it though I don't really know why. Ha, get it? That totally wasn't on purpose. I have to listen again while I type this because I don't know what it is, her voice? The lyrics? Her androgyny? The fact that I always thought David Stewart was dragging her down? No I didn't. It's just a good song and we'll leave it at that.




Track 14: I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston released 11/3/92
Fuck. Yes. I don't care what anyone says. Whitney will always love Kevin Costner and I will always love this song. Another throwback to our almost infinite evenings at Round Table Pizza. Brin's mom hated this song. Like with a passion so of course we'd put quarter after quarter in the jukebox delighting in the groans, not only from our table, but from ALL the tables. I dare you not to sing along at the top of your lungs. Try. You can't do it. Need some wine? I always do. And I will always love you.

2 comments:

Brin said...

Back to the Future... this was maybe my favorite part of growing up when we did... and "Power of Love"... you can't NOT want to jump on your hover board and roll around town with a smile on your face!

"Why" was just a gut shot- just felt right. :)

(Sassy) Cassie Anctil said...

I just wanted to inform you that the video of Track 16 is from "One Tree Hill," a show that I TOTALLY condone because it has Chad Michael Murray in it. That is all. Carry on.