Monday, January 9, 2012

Way Back Play Back songs 6-10 (part 4 of 6)

Track 6: Something To Talk About by Bonnie Raitt released 5/20/1991
Bonnie Raitt might be the greatest big-haired ginger the music industry has ever known. And I'll stand by that. I think I wore out my cassette (yeah, I said it) of Nick of Time and had to buy the CD. Such a good album. Such a good song.






Track 7: The Right Stuff by New Kids on the Block released 11/7/1988
Speaking of musical genius, hello Donnie Wahlberg! Just because I was a bit too young to buy into the whole NKOTB nonsense (no I didn't have a lunch box or a pillowcase or any posters) that doesn't mean I couldn't appreciate a good jam. I still remember listening to this song with Brin in...1993? A little behind the times but we were never very cool.






Track 8: Goonies 'R' Good Enough by Cyndi Lauper released 6/6/1985
Duh. It's the fucking Goonies. Pirate treasure, disfigurement, Joe Pantoliano (aka Joey Pants), this movie had it all. Add in a Cyndi Lauper video inexplicably featuring wrestlers (actually not so inexplicable because it's Cyndi Lauper) and lasting 12 minutes and you've got an instant classic. Because it's their time up there! Down here it's our time. It's our time down here! See? Classic.





Track 9: Black or White by Michael Jackson released 11/11/1991
Michael Jackson is my childhood. I still remember exactly where I was when I found out he died. (Damn you Best Buy checker you have no idea what you took from me when you casually mentioned MJ's death!) This song, the rap, Macaulay Culkin, the morphing of faces were my life. Every Michael Jackson song was my life. Most of them still define it. And I'm not ashamed to admit it. The second video is the original ending where he smashes the shit out of a car with a baseball bat and then turns into a panther. It was only shown the one time I think. But huzzah for the internet!









Track 10: Opposites Attract by Paula Abdul released 11/28/1989
Oh what up MC Skat Cat? Just try to keep up with Paula.




No comments: